Cetona - is a beautifully preserved
medieval village, which, in the last few decades has become
a fashionable place to have a country house. It has fine views
of Monte Cetona, and is surrounded by pretty hills planted
with cypresses and pine trees. has a typically medieval, circular
plan centred on the crest of a hill.
Previously part of the Chiusi territory,
it was incorporated with the Sovana area into the Aldobrandeschi
fiefdom when Ildebrando Aldobrandeschi of Sovana became Pope
Gregory VIT, in 1073.
A descendant by the same name placed
it under Orvieto in the early 13th century, where it remained
until Perugia took it over in the middle of the 14th century.
In 1428 it became part of the Siena Republic.
In 1556, Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany, granted
Cetona and the title of Marquis to Chiappino Vitelli, who
made the medieval fortress, la Rocca, his residence. Vitelli
then built the long, rectangular piazza, now called Piazza
Garibaldi, which sets the stage for the medieval, fortified
village above it.
In the large pleasant Piazza Garibaldi,
laid out in the 16C, at the bottom of the hill, is the church
of Sant'Angelo. In the chapel to the right of the high altar
(light by the side door) is a highly venerated seated wooden
statue of the Madonna and Child, and on the second altar on
the south side, a 16C painting of the Madonna and Child with
At the other end of the piazza is
a round tower, near which Via Roma goes up past the 16C ex-Palazzo
Comunale with the Museo Civico per la Preistoria del Monte
How to reach Cetona: From Siena take direction Arezzo
on the fast road Siena - Bettolle.
At bettolle take the highway A1 and follow direction Rome.
Exit Chiusi and Follow indications for Cetona
Where is Cetona: is located in the south of Siena
province, in the border with Umbria region. See
Nearby: Chiusi, Sarteano, Chianciano Terme
Distances: Siena 90 Km - Florence 125 Km - Pisa 200
Km - Arezzo 75 Km
Correct name is Cetona
Common mistakes are Citona, Cettona, Cittona, Cytona